Montreal Canadiens News
- Alex Galchenyuk left last night's game against the Blackhawks with a lower body injury. After the game, he was seen on crutches. He appeared to have injured his right knee on a hit by Marian Hossa. Galchenyuk would be a huge loss, particularly for the scoring depth of the Canadiens in the playoffs. We don't yet know the extent of the injury, but we will update as soon as we've got something.
- Chris Nilan chimed in last night with a very astute, and scholarly description of the poise with which Nathan Beaulieu plays the game. I hope Therrien concurs with his thesis statement, because I most certainly do.
- Andrei Markov's Canadiens Iron Man streak of 137 consecutive games ended against Chicago last night. The new Canadiens Iron Man is P.K. Subban, currently sitting at 122 consecutive games played.
- In the latest edition of 24CH flash, the cameras head to Sweden to meet the parents of Douglas Murray and give us a look at his early hockey years. Apparently, he played a lot of badminton, a sport I happen to be quite good at. I'm one who doesn't pull punches when ragging on Murray, but this was still pretty cool to watch.
- Lars Eller talked with Marc Antoine Godin about his struggles this year, and how everything starts from scratch in the playoffs. For those who don't read French, he also says in regards to his impending free agency, that he's about winning and getting better, not the money. Class act, Larry.
- Habs prospect Zach Fucale and the Halifax Mooseheads downed the Gatineau Olympique, and fellow prospect Martin Reway 4-2 to take a 3-1 series lead. The potentially decisive game is Friday night in Gatineau. Some damn fine hockey to watch, especially if you like watching Habs prospects.
- In EOTP news, 25Stanley.com ranked EOTP 22nd in their top 25 hockey news sources in Quebec. My mom says we're number one, though.
News and Notes from Around the League
- Brockport College published an online article recognizing the hockey research of a student; EOTP's own Scott Matla. In his statistical research, Scott was able to conclude that the more a team fights, the more likely they are to lose. But what about MOAR BIGGER?
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have confirmed that Ben Bishop is done for the remainder of the regular season. He may however be available "at some point" during the playoffs.
- As speculated in yesterday's links post, Trevor Linden has officially been named the Vancouver Canucks' President and General Manager. The move has been well received here on the west coast, as Linden has already been referred to by some as "god-like."
- If you're a Habs fan, this is sure to make you smile... Adam Gretz reminded us all that nobody does collapses like the Toronto Maple Leafs
- In Further Leafs news, the club is reportedly courting the services of Brendan Shanahan for a "Top hockey operations position." What this means exactly is up for debate.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets clinched a playoff spot for only the second time in franchise history on Wednesday night. Are we at all worried that we might have to face BOBROVSKY?