After beating Switzerland 5-0 in the preliminary round, Canada looks to secure another win versus the Swiss and advance to the gold medal match.
Canada held a perfect record during the three prelim games, including a win over their bitter rivals the United Sates. Their other game was versus Finland, a match up which Canada won 3-1.
If Canada manages to win they'll advance to the finals of the women's tournament for the 5th consecutive Olympic Games. They're the defending Olympic Champions, and should be able to dispose of Switzerland relatively easily.
Switzerland's route to the semi-finals took a very rocky turn, early.
After suffering defeats at the hand of the two women's hockey superpowers (Canada, United States) by a combined score of 14-0, they lost to Sweden by a score of 4-3, meaning they did not secure a victory during the preliminary round.
However they did manage to pull off a huge upset in their quarter-finals match up, by beating the previously undefeated Russian women by a score of 2-0.
The last time these two met Canada put up 69 shots on the scoreboard. Florence Schelling will be the wild card in playoff game, and she'll be coming in hot based on her 41 save shutout versus Russia in the quarters.
Puck drop is at 12:00 pm EST. It will be aired in Canada on CBC, In the United States on MSNBC, including a live stream from both websites.
- For Canadians, winning hockey gold is a relief
- Olympic medal count
- USA's women obliterate Sweden
- Game Thread: USA vs Sweden Women's Hockey
- Olympic Hockey Schedule for February 17
- Doughty Delivers
- Olympic Rankings: Canada remains on top
- Game Thread: Price starts for Canada vs Finland
- Winter Olympics 2014 Men's Hockey: USA vs Slovenia
- Olympic Hockey Schedule for February 16
- Sweden holds on to defeat Latvia
- The T.J. Oshie Show
- Game Thread: USA vs Russia
- Olympic Hockey Schedule for February 15
- Carter puts up a natural hatty in Canadian blowout