It's gold or nothing for the Russians in Sochi's hockey tournament, and they start their campaign versus the mega underdog Slovenia. Team Russia is poised to start off with a victory, helped along by two members of the Montreal Canadiens; Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin. They are going to run one of the most offensively gifted top 6 units in the tournament, along with an blue line that can chip in on the offensive side of the game as well.
Slovenia managed to qualify for the Olympics against all odds, considering they beat out higher seeded teams in Denmark and Belarus. With only seven indoor rinks in the entire country, and less than 150 pro players to choose from Slovenia did a fantastic job by qualifying for the Olympics.
Unfortunately there has been little word on Slovenia's potential lines, however it's expected that the bulk of the work will be placed upon the shoulders of their only NHL representative, Anze Kopitar.
Russia is expected to run with these lines:
Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov
Tarasenko - Anisimov - Kulemin
Popov - Tereschenko - Tikhonov
extras: Nichushkin, Svitov
Markov - Voynov,
Belov - Nikitin,
Emelin - Medvedev,
extras: Nikulin, Tyutin
Puck drop is at 7:30 am EST and you can stream it live here.
- Winter Olympics 2014: Sweden vs Czech Republic Men's Hockey Recap
- Winter Olympics 2014 Medal Count
- Winter Olympics 2014: Canadiens scoring statistics in Sochi
- Winter Olympics 2014: Canada vs USA Women's Hockey Recap
- Winter Olympics 2014: Men's Hockey Practice Lines & Rapid Reaction
- Winter Olympics 2014: Day 3 Recap & Open Thread
- Winter Olympics 2014: Finland names Teemu Selanne Captain
- Carey Price named NHL's 1st star of the week