First of all I'd like to take a second to congratulate two Montreal sports stars. 19-year-old Eugenie Bouchard advanced to the semi-finals of the Australian Open, and by doing so was the first Canadian to reach the semis in a major in 30 years.
Anthony Calvillo announced his retirement yesterday, and not enough can be said about this great athlete, person, and community leader. He won three Grey Cups with the Alouettes and holds the professional football record for the most all-time career passing yards . He will definitely retire as an Alouettes legend.
Montreal Canadiens Links
- The Habs are set to play the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight; read what Subban, Therrien and others had to say about the match-up here.
- Louis Leblanc is looking forward to contributing to the team in his second stint this season.
- The aforementioned Leblanc practiced as a right winger, alongside Travis Moen on the left wing, and Michael Bournival as the centre.
- Which of course means that the lower body injury suffered by Moen was quite minor.
- Nathan Beaulieu spoke about playing as a right D and the challenge it will provide.
- A Habs fan posted a PK Subban tribute video, depending on your musical preferences you might thoroughly enjoy it.
- Bobby Dollas opined on Rene Bourque, Louis Leblanc, and other Habs issues on TSN 690.
- Zachary Fucale was the first goalie to reach 100 wins in the QJMHL under 150 games. It took him 145 games to accomplish the feat.
Around the NHL
- Eugene Melnyk is at it again, he's still trying to prove that Matt Cooke cut Erik Karlsson's Achilles heel on purpose 10 months ago. Sometimes I feel like Melnyk exists solely so that we can make endless jokes at his expense.
- Like the rest of us, Matt Cooke thinks that Melnyk should let it go already.
- The Winnipeg Jets have decided to move their AHL affiliate from St.John's N.L. to Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- The Tortorella-Hartley feud goes back to 1995. You can read about it's genesis here.
- Daryl Katz wrote an ill-advised letter to Edmonton Oilers fans. Copper & Blue takes a deeper look at how little substance was included in the patronizing plea.
- Happy second anniversary to Raphael Diaz
- 2014 Mid-Term Habs Top 25 Under 25: The Top Five
- Louis Leblanc called up by the Canadiens
- Catching The Torch: Jan. 13 to Jan. 19th
- 2014 Mid-term Habs Top 25 Under 25: #10-6
- Canadiens vs Leafs: Analysis and scoring chances
- An exclusive interview with Michael McCarron