Henrik Sedin has been forced to drop out of the Olympics due to bruised ribs according to reports. The news comes on the heels of Steven Stamkos' announcement that he too will miss the Olympics for Canada.
The loss is a serious blow to Sweden and comes just days before NHLers are scheduled to fly out to Sochi. The Canucks captain has 40 points through 52 games with Vancouver and will be sorely missed.
Henrik's absence means Daniel Sedin will have to seek out a medal without his brother. The Sedin twins' chemistry is something special. Without the Vancouver Canucks stars together, Sweden will have some line juggling to do to heading into Sweden's first game on Valentine's Day.
Finnish forward and Minnesota Wild's captain Mikko Koivu may be the next casualty. The center continues to recover from ankle surgery, but his participation in Sochi is becoming more and more doubtful.
- St. Louis replaces Stamkos
- Stamkos not going to Sochi
- Finland's Mikko Koivu running out of time
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: Sweden
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: Canada
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: USA
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: Russia
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: Finland
- Winter Olympics 2014 preview: Czech Republic
- Olympic Rankings