It's finally beginning, the long awaited men's hockey tournament at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia kicks off with a matchup between two top eight teams in the tournament as the Czech Republic takes on Sweden.
Sweden is still rattled by the news that Henrik Sedin and Johan Franzen aren't able to play. Daniel Sedin is still there, and Henrik Zetterberg will lead an extremely talented roster, headlined by a fast moving defensive core boasting stars like Erik Karlsson and Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
The Czech defense is essentially the complete opposite, with a far less mobile, more defense oriented defensive squad, with the only offensive minded players being long time veterans on the back nines of their respective careers in Tomas Kaberle and Marek Zidlicky.
Puck drop is at 12:00pm EST on CBC, and you can stream it live here. It is also available in French. If you're restricted by an American IP NBC has you covered.
- For Canadians, winning hockey gold is a relief
- Game Thread: Canada vs USA Women's Hockey
- Olympic medal count
- Men's hockey lines & reactions
- Olympics Day 3 Recap: A golden day
- Captain Selanne
- Olympic Rankings: Canada remains on top
- Game Thread: Canada vs Finland Women's Hockey
- Winter Olympics Recap & Open Thread
- Evaluating the American women's hockey team
- Winter Olympics 2014: Carey Price's black mask for Sochi
- Pacioretty injured, still going to Sochi
- A sneak peek at Price's mask for Sochi
- How does the new format impact women's hockey?
- No Sochi for Henrik Sedin