Canada is yet to allow a goal in the preliminary round, with a combined score of 8-0 versus the Swiss and the Finns. The USA on the other hand allowed a goal versus Finland (3-1), however they absolutely thrashed the Swiss 9-0.
In all logic this game is a preview of the gold medal match up. Ever since women's hockey was introduced to the Olympic Games, the Americans and Canadians have faced off against each other in the finals, with the USA winning the inaugural tournament in 1998, and the Canadians claiming gold in 2002, 2006 & 2010.
This should be by far and away the most competitive game of the preliminary round, especially considering the last time these two met in the pre-Olympic warm up exhibition games they ended up delving into a line brawl with 8 seconds left in the game.
The American women have held the advantage in recent games versus the Canadian women, as is proven by their 3 straight wins during the exhibition games.
There will be no brawls in this game, however expect a fast, skilled, and emotion filled game between these two biter rivals.
While you're waiting for the game to start, you should read Laura's interview with Chris Peters: 10 questions about Team USA's women's hockey team.
Puck drop is at 7:30am EST on CBC, and you can stream it live here. It is also available in French. If you're restricted by an American IP NBC has you covered.
- Catching the Torch February 3rd to February 9th
- Winter Olympics 2014 Medal Count
- Winter Olympics 2014: Men's Hockey Practice Lines & Rapid Reaction
- Winter Olympics 2014: Finland names Teemu Selanne Captain
- Carey Price named NHL's 1st star of the week
- Winter Olympics 2014 Women's Hockey: Canada vs Finland
- Winter Olympics 2014: Recap & Open Thread
- Winter Olympics 2014: 10 questions about Team USA's women's hockey team