I can't really think of an intro today, so I'll just leave you with my favourite CBC Habs montage. The song in the video, "5 Chords" by Montreal's "The Dears", speaks of home, so I thought it was apropos given that the Habs clinched home ice for the first round last night. Enjoy the video and the links!
Habs News and Analysis
- It seems as if Michel Therrien was tight-lipped at practice today as I can't find any roster news of note. With regards to seeding, if the Habs win tomorrow in Toronto and Boston manages two points or less over their next two games (at Washington on Saturday and home against Ottawa on Sunday) Montreal will move into second place in the East. If any other situation occurs, the Canadiens will remain fourth in the conference.
- Everybody loves Gallagher today! CBC Sports' Tim Wharnsby has a brief profile of Gallagher's season. He notes that the twenty year-old is tied for the lead with Jonathan Huberdeau in rookie goal scoring at 14 and that he's holding up well physically in spite of playing 79 pro games in 2012-2013.
- Dave Stubbs has a more personal piece on the rookie. Gallagher talks about signing cellphones and foreheads as well as his favourite moment of the season: the 6-5 win in Boston when he scored the shootout game winner.
General News and Analysis
- With national television ratings in the United States and Canada up over last year and building capacity at 97.4% league-wide, it's safe to say that the NHL has suffered minimal damage from the lockout.
- Erik Karlsson, or King Shit of Fuck Mountain as I'll henceforth call him, went crazy last night in his first game back since February. He played over 27 minutes, fired 7 EV shots on goal, notched two assists, was +4 on EV chances, and +16 on Corsi in a game with limited score effects. That stat line is simply remarkable.
- In response to his performance last night and his speedy recovery in general, some fans are speculating that Karlsson could be using performance enhancing drugs. Backhand Shelf's Justin Bourne addresses the issue, noting that skepticism from fans is reasonable, but that he personally doesn't think Karlsson has been doping.
- In light of Winnipeg's elimination from the postseason and the upcoming NHL divisional realignment, Jets blogger TJ Maughan wishes the Eastern Conference a fond farewell.
- Erin Bolen of Defending Big D talks about her personal relationship with the Dallas Stars in an open thank-you letter to the organization. From employment opportunities to social connections, the Stars have meant a lot to Bolen. Affection for team and community really come through in the piece. It's well worth the read.
- Team Canada is one win away from IIHF U18 Championship gold. Canada defeated Finland 3-1 and will play the United States in the final on Sunday.
Archive Material and EOTP News
- The season ending podcast is coming down the pipe. Stay tuned for hilarious banter, interesting conversation, and insightful analysis from the fine editors on the site. Here's the last podcast with a Leafs blogger from Pension Plan Puppets guesting.